Monday 28 May 2012

OUGD402 END OF MODULE EVALUATION


1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

One skill that has developed but not much is my time management skills. I wouldn't say I am the most organised person in the world. But through Fred's time management workshops I have started making regular to-do lists and time plans in order to make sure I get everything done. Recently I have had allot of work to do we have had 3 submissions in a short space of time, sop these time plans have worked well. I have also got better at using in design through the workshops. I have learnt how to set up a document and also print out double side booklets too which came in handy for my 401 project as well as 402. I have also learned the importance of a grid when doing editorial work. I used a simple grid system on the who are you brief to get the page layout perfect. 

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you devloped and how have they informed your design development process?

For the speaking form experience brief I decided to try and produce something a bit different so I looked into making a sleep kit for next years 1st years. Due to time I didn't get to make all the products that I wanted to, so I just focussed on the clock. This brief has showed me that I don't have to stick to standard design outcomes like posters and zines. I can incorporate my designs onto other more interesting and engaging products. Drawing out thumbnails for the Who are you brief helped with my development, I was able to experiment with type and image before I brought it to the computer screen, this made the digital part of the brief shorter and more well informed

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how/will you capitalize on these?

I think a strength from this module would be that I tried something new and experimented with other products rather than just posters. I enjoyed coming up with ways of delivering my message in interesting ways. I will try and set my goals higher from now on and make sure I have enough time to carry out my initial ideas. My software skills have definitely developed over the course of this module especially in Indesign. I learnt how to double side print and set up any document I want, I also learnt the importance of grids which helped when designing my double page spread.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

My design sheet development work has let me down in this module. I came up with a variety of initial ideas for the project but didn't have time to develop each one as much as I would of liked. I wanted to create some pantone tea bags and motivational mugs for my speaking from experience brief, but ran out of time. If I hadn't of been concentrating on 401 I think I would of had more time to get these done. Another weakness is my lack of annotation on my designs, I need more notes on my design sheets as I never seem to annotate, this would help when looking through my work in order to see my design decisions. I will make sure that next year my design process is allot clearer from an outsiders point of view. Due to running out of money I was unable to print out my double page spread and final posters for speaking from experience to a good quality so I just had to blog them instead. It would of been nice to get these printed out as all that hard work just stays on screen.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

  1. Design sheets - I need to make sure I produce more design sheets to a higher quality that have annotation and more use of colour as they are not that visually interesting at the moment.
  2. Plan my time better - This keeps coming up across all modules and every time I think I've got a bit better, but I can definitely improve on this. I will make sure I plan each week so I don't run into the same problems as I have done this year.
  3. Be Ambitious - I think I need to give myself enough time to work on bigger more interesting projects rather than sticking to posters and other print based formats
  4. Experiment - with different media, although I made a clock It would be nice to make more things like this.
  5. Expand on Workshops - I think in order to build my software knowledge I need to expand on workshops and test more this will help my practice in the long run.
6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas:

Attendance : 5
Punctuality : 5
Motivation : 4
Commitment : 4
Quality : 3
Quantity : 3
Contribution to the group : 4

No comments:

Post a Comment