Wednesday 14 November 2012

STUDY TASK 3 - What is Industrial Experience?


What is industrial experience?
  • Experiencing what it is like to be in the real world, responding to the clients needs not our own.
  • Its also a way of getting used to the industry and getting familiar and comfortable in a real working environment.
  • It could also be taking part in live briefs and responding to work outside university.
  • It can also be gaining contacts and making a name for yourself.
  • Taking part in freelance work and live and competition briefs to get a better understanding of projects outside of the university environment.
  • By looking at different studios it will help to find out which areas suit me best.

What can you learn from industrial experience?
  • This will help you to learn about time management, and meeting clients deadlines, not just studio deadlines.
  • As your experience is increased so will your confidence in your personal and professional self.
  • It could also push you into a new design direction, you may try something completely different that you fall in love with.
  • It will also Improve your decision making skills as you will be a lot more informed and knowledgable. 
  • It will also increase your confidence, pitching your ideas to established professionals.
  • It can also give you direction with your design practice, either cementing your choices in what path you want to follow or give you a different perspective that can open your mind to other options.
  • It will be a benefit for future job prospects, as well as something to put on your CV and additional portfolio work.
What form/format could industrial experience take?

  • live briefs
  • visiting exhibitions
  • selling work
  • competition briefs
  • seminars and talks
  • online networking
  • internships
  • free lance


What areas of industry are you interested in?

Illustration - Jared Nickerson


 Publishing and Editorial - Blanca Prol



 Branding and Identity - Necon



Packaging - Mat Bogust




Paper Craft - Simon Laliberté





What are your concerns about industrial experience?
  • I am worried that I won't have the correct skills for the job when I get there.
  • What if my mind goes blank and I cant come up with any ideas?
  • I am worried that I will never understand the business/money aspect that comes with running a business etc.
  • I am worried about pitching my ideas and concepts to professional designers.
  • What if I dont fit in?

Ten Statements Task
  1. Through searching through portfolios online, I have gained a better understanding of the type of work I would like to go into and experiment with. I will look for this when it comes to applying for internships.
  2. This task has made it clear how important it is to build an online portfolio, it was really clear which designers stood out the most through their online presence. Over the course of the year I will develop an online portfolio in order to get my name and work out there.
  3. I think taking part in live briefs and competitions will be a good way of developing my design skills and also time management. I think it might be worth trying to knock out as many day briefs as I can when I have free time. These are quite different to uni briefs with different content and different time scales.
  4. Hopefully through crits etc, my confidence will improve, I think this is something that can only improve over time, but I feel industry experience will help with this.
  5. Industrial experience will hopefully help to point me in the right direction. At the moment I have a variety of things that I'm interested in but I would like to make these opinions a bit more focussed.
  6. I hope to take part in more print fairs, and talks etc. This will be a good chance to network with professionals.
  7. Industrial experience comes in many forms it is important to try them all out.
  8. Over summer I would like to try and get a few placements sorted in order to try a variety of avenues.
  9. I think it is important to start thinking about my design image. I will design a business card in order to promote myself, this will be a nice token to hand out when meeting people in the industry.
  10. I will undertake personal goals inorder to prepare myself for the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment